U.S. Legislation and Regulations: About Congress
Sessions of Congress Table
- Guide to the Law Online - Library of Congress
"An annotated guide to sources of information on government and law available online.
Major Acts of Congress. 3v, 2004
An encyclopedia that examines landmark pieces of legislation, explaining the historical factors that led to the proposal of each act.
- West's Encyclopedia of American Law. 2nd ed., 13v, 2004
Information on legal topics.
Guides to the Legislative Process
Find legislative procedures for creating laws
- How Our Laws Are Made - Ben's Guide to U.S. Government.
- Making Laws Simply Explained - Page down to brief guide from CongressLink.
- The Legislative Process - (link at top) ProQuest Legislative Insight (Database)
- How Our Laws Are Made - U.S. House of Representatives step-by-step guide to federal lawmaking.
- The Legislative Process - brief videos from Congress.gov
- How Measures Are Brought to the House Floor: A Brief Introduction - A brief description of the methods used to bring proposed legislation to the House floor for consideration by the Congressional Research Service.
- Introduction to the Legislative Process in the U.S. Congress - CRS document summarizing the steps for bills from introduction to presidential consideration.
- Enactment Of A Law - An overview of the process of enactment of legislation from the U.S. Senate.
Congressional Committee Calendars
Current committee calendars are available at the House of Representatives and Senate
FDsys offers House and Senate calendars of Congressional business in general, with keyword searching, from the 104th Congress (1995) to the present.
This database includes committee legislative and executive calendars from about 1970s to 1990s. Most are final editions and not all years may be covered.
Go to 'Advanced Search'
Enter "legislative calendar' or 'legislative executive calendar' in the search box (all fields except full text)
In the search box below enter the name of committee or a keyword(s) (all fields except full text) e.g. financial services
Page down to 'search within'; clear all boxes and select 'committee prints'
Restrict search to 'all available dates' and run search
Missing issues may be available in the congressional committee prints microfiche collection (Y4) filed by Congress (Storage microfiche).