Government Information: Federal, State & Local: Treaties
Researching treaties is often difficult. Before begining it is helpful to ask some basic questions:
Who are the parties (signatories) to the treaty?
What is the subject of the treaty?
When was the treaty signed? When did it go into effect?
Native American Treaties
Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties. (Kappler). KF8203 1975. V.2
Text of ratified and unratified Indian Treaties 1779-1871.
Treaties Between the Tribes of the Great Plains and the United States of America: Comanche and Kiowa, Arikara, Gros Ventre and Mandan, 1835-1891.
Hodges KF8202 1982.
May have treaties not in Kappler's compilation.
Search the "Treaties and Agreements Library" for treaties to which the United States is a signatory.
- Treaties and International Agreements Online
- United States Treaties and Other International Agreements
Hodges Stacks, 1950-1995 JX231.A34
- Treaties and Other International Agreements of the USA
1776-1949 Hodges Stacks JX236 1968.A5
- Treaties in Force - latest issue; Earlier Issues
Hodges Stacks 1941-2002 JX236 1929c
- United States Statutes at Large (KF50) - for treaties signed between 1776-1949
Vol. 7 - Indian Treaties 1778-1845
Vol. 8 - U.S. treaties with foreign nations, 1778-1845
use subsequent volumes of the Statutes to find treaties after 1845. There is a subject and country index in each volume. International Agreements are included beginning with vol. 47 (1931/32). Vol.64, pt.3, p.B1107 contains a cumulative index for 1789-1949.
Fulltext in Govinfo -vol. 65, 82nd Congress (1951) - latest year available
Library of Congress American Memory - 1789-1873
- Treaties, Conventions, International Acts, Protocols, and Agreements between the United States of American and other Powers. 4 Vols. 1776-1937
Hodges Stacks JX236 1910. Treaty texts are annotated.
- United Nations Treaty Collection
Collection of full text treaties and international agreements since 1946. Most materials
are freely accessible.
The overview provides a description of database contents which include:
Status of Treaties (MTDSG) - Multilateral Treaties Deposited with the Secretary
Website User Guide to Using the United Nations Treaty Collection
United Nations Treaties Series - Dec.1946-present.
Hodges Stacks JX170.U35 1946-2006
League of Nations Treaty Series (5 July 1920 - 3 October 1944)
United Nations Treaty Series Cumulative Index
- World Treaty Index 1945-1999 (beta)
WTI provides citations to sources for full texts of multilateral and bilateral treaties.
- European Treaty Series - Council of Europe
- Treaties and Agreements - Organization of American States
- The FLARE Index to Treaties (FIT)
A fully searchable database of international treaties and conventions provided by the
Institute of Advanced Legal Studies. Contains over 2,000 of the most significant
multilateral treaties from 1353 onwards and a number bilateral treaties signed
between 1353 and 1815.
- Canada Treaty Information (Government of Canada treaty website)