Streaming Guide: BlackBoard / CANVAS
Blackboard and Video Streaming
Blackboard allows instructors to add links or even embed Library streamed videos to a class on their Blackboard site.
See instructions to the right.
Linking to Videos in Blackboard
• Process of Linking to Library Streaming Videos in Blackboard
• Adding Library Video Streaming Titles to CANVAS
• Getting the URLs from streamed videos found in the Library
• Getting the URLs from Films on Demand's, Alexander Street Press's (AVON), and Kanopy's video streaming databases
• General linking of audio, video and YouTube in Blackboard
Process of Linking to Library Streaming Videos in Blackboard
Linking to Videos Found in the Libary Catalog
1. Open BlackBoard and go to the Content Area where you want to place the link
2. In the Build Content dropdown click on "Web Link"
3. Give the Link a name - typically the title of the video
4. Paste the url in the url text box (see Finding Library URLs below)
5. If you want to you may add information about it in the Descriptions box
6. In Options click both "Permit Users to View Content" and "Open in New Window"
7. Click "Submit"
Adding Library Streaming Video Titles to CANVAS
This is a quick way to get a Library streaming video title into CANVAS. Please make sure you are using the correct and proxied URL (see "Getting the URL" in the box below below)
- Open CANVAS.
- Open the course you want the video to be viewed.
- Click on "Assignments".
- Click "Add Assignment" box (or create a separate "Group" in Assignments.
- Fill in Data
- Title for assignment.
- Title of the video text area.
- Attach URL to the video title
- For "Submission Type", click the URL box.
- Optionally you can give it a due by date
- Click "Save and Publish"
Getting the URLs from streamed videos found in the Library
If you find a video that is streaming in the Library Catalog and you want to add the link to Blackboard:
Videos from Alexander Street Press and Films On Demand will have permalink URLs that can be found on the video's page, if you have trouble finding them contact Steven Milewski firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To get the URLs for other videos you see that the Library is streaming in the catalog, contact Steven Milewski email@example.com for a URL that will work on and off campus through Blackboard.
Getting the URLs from Films On Demand's, Alexander Street Press's (AVON), and Kanopy's video streaming databases
For videos found using the Films On Demand or any of Alexander Street Press's databases such as Academic Video Online you can find the URL links on the video's page. Do not use the link at the top of the web page that opened because it won't have the proxy information needed for students trying to watch off campus.
- For Films on Demand videos you can find the correct URL in a text box below the player called "Record URL" and can click "Highlight" and then copy it there.
- For Academic Video Online and other Alexander Street Press streaming videos click on the "Embeded/Link" located below the video player, then copy the URL link.
- For videos streaming from Kanopy you can use the URL that appears at the top of the web page when the video player comes up.
Streaming titles from other Library sources
- Contact Steven Milewski at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the proxied URL link.
General linking of audio, video, and YouTube in Blackboard
For audio and video you have on your computer "Linking Video URLs in BlackBoard" should work. For other sources of audio and video that you want to connect to from BlackBoard please be aware of copyright and permissions issues.
To add YouTube videos please see OIT's YouTube page