Use the UT Libraries Catalog to search for books, journals, videos, or other resources in anthropology and archaeology. Search by title, author, keyword and subject. The catalog provides call numbers and locations in the library. Click on the 'Find Items' link to determine if the item is available for check out.
To locate works that provide reading lists on a particular topic, you may wish to use a topical subject bibliography. Start with a subject keyword search in the catalog, including the word "bibliography", for example:
The Library of Congress Subject Headings in the Reference room Z695.U4749 may be used to find authorized subject headin
Other reference resources can be found by searching the UT Libraries Catalog using keywords (e.g., "dictionary and anthropology" or "encyclopedia and anthropology," etc.), or by browsing the shelves in the same call number location as the resources identified below.
- American Anthropological Association. Guide: a Guide to Departments, a Directory of Members. Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association. Hodges Reference latest edition GN43.A2G84
- Annual Review of Anthropology. Palo Alto, Calif., Annual Reviews Inc. Hodges Stacks GN1.A623 1972-
- Gwynne, Margaret A. Anthropology Career Resources Handbook. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, c2003. Hodges Stacks GN397.5 .G99 2003b
- Bernard, H. Russell. Research Methods in Anthropology: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches. Lanham, MD: AltaMira Press, 2006. Hodges Stacks GN345.B36 2006
- Anthropological Resources: A Guide to Archival, Library and Museum Collections. Edited by Lee S. Dutton. New York: Garland, 1999. Hodges Reference GN14.A77 1999
- Archaeological Method and Theory: An Encyclopedia. Edited by Linda Ellis. New York :Garland Pub., 2000. Hodges Reference CC75 .A654 2000
- Yearbook of Physical Anthropology. Washington, American Association of Physical Anthropologists. Issued as a supplement to the American Journal of Physical Anthropology. Hodges Stacks GN1.Y42 1962-
- Encyclopedia of Anthropology. Edited by H. James Birx. California: Sage, 2006. Hodges Reference GN11.E63 2006
- Companion Encyclopedia of Anthropology. Edited by Tim Ingold. New York: Routledge, 1994. Hodges Reference GN25 .C65 1994
- Companion Encyclopedia of Archaeology. Edited by Graeme Barker. New York: Routledge, 1999. Hodges Reference CC70 .C59 1999
- Encyclopedia of Archaeology: History and Discoveries. Edited by Tim Murray. Santa Barbara, Calif: ABC-CLIO, 2001. Hodges Reference CC100 .E54 2001
- Encyclopedia of Cultural Anthropology. Editors, David Levinson & Melvin Ember. New York: Henry Holt, 1996. Hodges Reference GN307.E52 1996
- Encyclopedia of World Cultures. Editor in chief, David Levinson. Boston: G.K. Hall, 1991. Hodges Reference GN550.E53 1991
- Encyclopedia of Prehistory. Edited by Peter N. Peregrine and Melvin Ember. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum, 2001. Hodges Reference GN710.E53 2001. 9vols.
- History of Physical Anthropology. Edited by Frank Spencer. New York: Garland Pub., 1997. Hodges Reference GN50.3 .H57 1997
- Encyclopedia of Social and Cultural Anthropology. Edited by Alan Barnard & Jonathan Spencer. New York : Routledge, 1996. Hodges Reference GN307 .E527 1996
- Encyclopedia of Modern Ethnic Conflicts. Edited by Joseph R. Rudolph, Jr. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2003. Hodges Reference GN496 .E56 2003
- Encyclopedia of the Peoples of the World. Edited by Amiram Gonen. New York: Holt, 1993. Hodges Reference GN495.4.E53 1993
- American Folklore: an Encyclopedia. Edited by Jan Harold Brunvand. New York: Garland Pub., 1996. Hodges Reference GR101 .A54 1996
- The Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Folklore and Folklife. Edited by William M. Clements. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2006. Hodges Reference GR35 .G75 2006
- Cashmore, Ernest. Dictionary of Race and Ethnic Relations. New York: Routledge, 1996. Hodges Reference GN496 .C37 1996
- Darvill, Timothy. The Concise Dictionary of Archaeology. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Hodges Reference CC70.C37 2002
- Jobes, Gertrude. Dictionary of Mythology, Folklore and Symbols. New York: Scarecrow, 1961. Hodges Reference GR35.J6
- Seymour-Smith, Charlotte. Macmillan Dictionary of Anthropology. London: Mcmillan, 1986. Hodges Reference GN11 .S4 1986
- Stevenson, Joan C. Dictionary of Concepts in Cultural Anthropology. New York: Greenwood, 1991. Hodges Reference GN307 .W56 1991
- Winthrop, Robert H. Dictionary of Concepts in Physical Anthropology. New York: Greenwood, 1991. Hodges Reference GN50.3.S74 1991
This collection of specialist online bibliographies is compiled and updated by editors of the AnthroGlobe electronic journal.
Worldwide regional and site-specific bibliographies including historical archaeology, bioarchaeology, zooarchaeology, artifact class studies, human origins with links to further bibliographic listings.
The List of Publications, also known as Bulletin 200, includes an index to authors and titles for all publications. It includes annual reports, contributions to North American ethnology, publications of the Institute of Social Anthropology, and the Bureau's Bulletins.
The bulletin series is superseded by the new series Smithsonian Contributions to Anthropology, 1965-- GN 1 S54 Vols. 1- (some in microfiche). Search the online catalog by title.
Search the Online Catalog for biographical works about Anthropologists or Ethnologists by Subject, for example:
Or find biographies or works about specific individuals: Subject browse "last name, first name":
Or do a keyword search for with the name and the word "biography"
- Biographical Directory of Anthropologists Born Before 1920. Edited by Thomas L. Mann. New York: Garland Pub., 1988. Hodges Reference GN 20 B5 1988
- The Routledge Dictionary of Anthropologists. Gérald Gaillard; translated by James Bowman. London; New York: Routledge, 2004. Hodges Reference GN 20 G3513 2004 1997
- International Dictionary of Anthropologists. Edited by Christopher Winters. New York: Garland, 1991 Hodges Reference GN 20 I5 1991
- Women Anthropologists: A Biographical Dictionary. Edited by Ute Gacs. New York: Greenwood Press, 1988. Hodges Reference GN 20 W63 1988
- The Worldwide Email Directory of Anthropologists (WEDA) is a searchable directory of anthropologists and scholars in related disciplines from around the world.
To identify articles on anthropology and related topics, use one or more Databases. Some services index dissertations, books and book chapters, conference papers, and/or association papers. Most databases are restricted for use by faculty, staff, and students at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- Abstracts in Anthropology. Newport, Conn,: Greenwood Press, 1970-2004. vols. 1-49. Hodges Library Stacks GN1.A15.
Arrangement is by anthropological disciplines, then by detailed subjects. Journals indexed include history, science, and the social sciences, in addition to the major anthropological journals. Additional subject and author indexes. International bibliography of social and cultural anthropology.
- International Committee for Social Sciences Documentation in co-operation with the International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences. New York: Tavistock, 1955- Storage Stacks GN12.I56 vol. 1-15, 1955-1969. Hodges stacks GN12.I56 vol.16-41, 1970-1995
Indexes books, articles, and research reports. Excludes archaeology and physical anthropology. Author and subject indexes.
- Reviews in Anthropology. Pleasantville, N.Y., 1974 - Hodges stacks GN1.R48 back issues, 1974-
Each issue presents about 20 review essays on current, significant books in all areas of anthropology. Full text available via Academic Search Premier.