Resources for do-it-yourself or librarian-assisted searching for alternatives:
Do-it-yourself alternatives searching support:
Librarian-assisted search support
- Click to find a Librarian to assist with an alternatives search
More support: webinars, tutorials, articles, and Websites
1) NIH/OLAW Webinar (40 min.) - "Meeting Requirements for Alternatives Searches" (2014) Kathleen Gregory Highly recommended!
- Research Guide cited in Webinar: http://libguides.du.edu/alternative.
- ARRIVE guidelines cited in Webinar in PLOS Biology.
2) UNC tutorial: "Searching the Literature for Animal Testing Alternatives".
3) ARTICLE: If at the beginning of the research planning process, use the Step by Step guide to systematically identify all relevant animal studies by Leenaars, et al Laboratory Animals 2012.
4) Working with wildlife? Key article: Putman, R. (1995). Ethical considerations and animal welfare in ecological field studies. Biodiversity & Conservation, 4(8), 903-915.
5) ARTICLE on Refinements: Michael Kreger helps researchers and IACUC members understand why refinements are important, how to search for them, and how to evaluate a search for refinements:
6) Teaching protocols: Freely available: "Considerations When Writing and Reviewing a Higher Education Teaching Protocol Involving Animals." Vemulapalli TH, Donkin SS, Lescun TB, O'Neil PA, Zollner PA. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2017 Sep 1;56(5):500-508. PMID:28903820.
6) More about reporting guidelines:
- Last Updated: May 20, 2018 10:00 AM
- URL: https://libguides.utk.edu/veterinaryinformation
- Print Page