Things to know about the Census Bureau:
1) Makes its data available for free; its data is not covered by copyright.
2) Dependent on Congress for funding
3) Collects information for the federal government, to help with government work
4) Collects more that just demographic and housing data.
5) Conducts a census of population and housing every 10 years, but conducts other surveys as well each year. many of which are at the national level.
How to extract data from Census.gov:
1) Click "Data" at the top of a Census Bureau page.
2) Click "Data Tools and Apps"
3) Click "Data Tools and Apps Main"
These thematic data collections, which focus on specific topics, have been created by the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research in collaboration with various funding entities to promote data discovery and use. Topics include: Aging, Arts & Culture, Race, Health/Mental Health, Civic Engagement, and many more.