GIS Web Resources
UC San Diego
Here you will find a starting point for a list of GIS materials that are on the web. This site, hosted by UC San Diego, is intended for UC San Diego GIS users as well as the larger GIS community and is a collaborative project with librarians from within the University of California, Purdue Libraries, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, and University of Tennessee Knoxville.
GIS Resources collected by GIS Librarians:
- Online GIS Data (Includes some #1 Recommended Sites)
- Education & Jobs
- Publications & Blogs
American Library Association (ALA)
UT Libraries GIS Services and Policies
UT Libraries - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Services
John C. Hodges Library supports the needs of the university community by providing patrons with resources needed to expedite GIS use for teaching and research. Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Services is responsible for developing geospatial collections (both commercial and public domain) needed by our primary clientele.
GIS User Policies
- The following assistance is available to students, faculty, and staff who are involved with a GIS-related project, research, or assigment.
- Evaluating GIS as a suitable tool for solving a research need
- Finding print and electronic GIS-related (GIS and GPS) resources
- Finding and making available spatial data
- Formatting and projecting spatial data
- Please email Eric Arnold, email@example.com, with any GIS questions or to make an appointment for consultation.
Eric Arnold, firstname.lastname@example.org
Greg March, email@example.com, Map & Geospatial Data Librarian
GIS Equipment, Software, and Data
- The library has GIS Workstations (with dual screen monitors) running various GIS applications, available to UT Affiliates only. UT affiliates should honor software licensing agreements.
- Data created and stored on these GIS workstations is not backed up, can be seen by other UT Affiliates, and is subject to deletion. We advise backing up work to an external device such as a flash drive or hard drive.
- The library provides vendor purchased geospatial data available to UT Affiliates only. UT Affiliates should honor data licensing agreements
- Public domain geospatial data is available to UT Affiliates and the general public.
Additional GIS-Related Assistance, Support, and Training
- UT Affiliates interested in free virtual (self paced) GIS training with ESRI software (ESRI Virtual Campus) can go here. After selecting a course(s), please email Eric Arnold who will send you course codes with instructions. Please use your UTK email address when emailing.
- The Geographic Information System (GIS) Research Guide pages provide information to UT Affiliates interested in learning more about GIS. Links to People, Labs/Facilities, Teaching, and more is available.
- The Geography Department GIS Laboratory has Teaching Assistants that can help students who are working on GIS and Cartography assignments and projects.
- The College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources Computer Lab is open to students who are working on GIS assignments and projects. Please email Dr. Joanne Logan for more information.
- The University of Tennessee Cartographic Services Laboratory uses GIS and other software to create custom maps. The Cartography Lab serves UT faculty, staff, students, and others. Please see the Cartographic Services Lab web page for more information.
- Students needing a copy of ArcGIS and Extensions, Student Edition should contact the OIT HelpDesk at 974-9900. Please provide your name and UTK email address and specify the ESRI software version you want when calling. You will be emailed instructions about how to acquire a One-Year Education Use Only copy of ArcGIS.
- Faculty and staff needing GIS software and technical support can go here.
Map & Geospatial Data Librarian