Faculty Bookplate Reception : Home
Reception Location, Date, Time, Map
Date: October 28, 2019
3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Administrators will make remarks at approximately 4:00 p.m.
Location: Hodges Library, 1st Floor Galleria (Link to Map Below).
For Honorees--What to Expect
Invitation to choose a book to be bookplated:
All tenure-track faculty whose promotion and/or tenure was approved at the Trustees' meeting in the summer of the current year, as well as non tenure-track faculty who were promoted, will be contacted via email by Gail Williams and invited to choose a book to be bookplated to commemorate their promotion and/or tenure.
Invitation to the reception:
The Provost's Office sends invitations to the honorees and their Deans and Department Heads.
At the reception:
Nametags and programs are provided. Food (punch, coffee, finger foods) is served.
The bookplated books are displayed, along with commemorative bookmarks, which the honorees are encouraged to take.
About the Bookplate Reception
UT Librarians join the Provost each fall in hosting a reception honoring UT Knoxville faculty members who have been promoted and/or awarded tenure.
The Faculty Bookplate Reception is a celebration of faculty success, and honorees choose a book to commemorate their achievement.
The honored faculty members represent the full range of UT's comprehensive educational programs, from arts and sciences to professional schools. The books chosen are equally diverse, running the gamut from poetry to health science research. The honorees' book selections are displayed at the reception.
Attendance at the reception is optional, as is choosing a book. Honorees who cannot or do not wish to attend the reception are welcome to choose a book either before or after the reception, and may do so by responding to the survey that will be sent via email in late August. In addition to the selected book being bookplated, the Libraries' catalog record for the book will note that the book was selected to honor the faculty member.
Book Selection Guidelines for Honorees
- Please respond promptly when you receive the email from Gail Williams about choosing a book.
- Ask Gail Williams or your Subject Librarian if you have questions about selecting a book or see the list of books chosen by faculty in previous years.
- A selected book can be in any discipline, including children's books or illustrated fiction. If faculty choose a book outside of their discipline, it will be shelved at any UT Library (Hodges Library, Agriculture-Veterinary Medicine Library, or Music Library) according to the subject of the book. For example, if an honoree who uses the Music Library chooses a work of historical fiction, the book will be shelved at Hodges Library.
- Electronic books: If an e-book is chosen, a copy of its cover will be displayed at the reception, and the book's catalog record will note that the title was selected to honor the faculty member.
- If a book choice is not currently in the library collection, every effort will be made to purchase and catalog it in time for the reception.