Guides for Veterinary Students, Faculty, Staff
Purpose of this guide: to support learning to ACQUIRE evidence effectively, an AVMA clinical competency 9:
"Searching effectively for and critically appraising evidence applicable to clinical and diagnostic cases"
WHY LEARN TO ACQUIRE BEST AVAILABLE EVIDENCE
Students may be evaluated on searching effectively
See "AVMA Competency 9: Appreciation for role of research (searches effectively for evidence
applicable to clinical and diagnostic cases)" on UT CVM ABLE rubric--PDF here:
Shift from eminence based to evidence-based decision-making due to growth of biomedical literature and clinical information tools like VetCompanion
HOW WILL SEARCHING EFFECTIVELY FOR BEST AVAILABLE EVIDENCE HELP ME IN PRACTICE?
- Dr. Ron Larson Quote
- Evidence Matters RCVS
- Dr. B. McKenzie
- Peter Cockcroft on Knowledge Mobilisation
- Dr. K. Brueninger TVP Editorial
“In an age of misinformation, evidence is a competitive advantage.”
~ Dr. Ron Larson, Kansas State CVM, featured speaker at UT CVM CE conference 2015
- McKenzie, B. A. (2014). Veterinary clinical decision-making: Cognitive biases, external constraints, and strategies for improvement. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 244(3), 271-276.
- A Crucial Blind Spot in Veterinary Medicine: The placebo effect shows up in pets too, but these treatments are fooling owners, not their animals. Emily Anthes
2016 editorial in Today's Veterinary Practice by Kirk J. Breuninger, VMD, MPH
Conclusion: "Thoughtful integration of new evidence into practice decision-making can support effective communication between veterinary professionals and clients, while at the same time continually improving the quality of veterinary medicine."
ACQUIRE: searching effectively is one of 5 key skills of evidence-based veterinary medicine
ASK: Asking an answerable clinical question
Below is work sheet with a veterinary example and blank worksheet to help you format and document your PICO to prepare for searching.
ACQUIRE: where to search for veterinary clinical information
Suggested list of databases / information services to search to acquire evidence to answer clinical questions that arise in practice.
Tip: Develop a list of databases to search based on your practice focus, access to databases, and experience searching for evidence.
ACQUIRE Tutorials: how to search for evidence
- Last Updated: Dec 7, 2019 8:55 PM
- URL: https://libguides.utk.edu/Veterinarymedicinestudentsguide
- Print Page