Faculty Bookplate Reception : Home
Reception Location, Date, Time, Map
Date: October 12, 2015
3:30p.m. - 5:00*
*Arrive by 3:55 to hear remarks by administrators at 4:00 p.m.
Location: 6th Floor Staff Room, Hodges Library (Link to Map Below)
For Honorees--What to Expect
Invitation to choose a book:
All faculty whose promotion and/or tenure was approved at the Trustees' meeting in the summer of the current year will be contacted via email by their subject librarian and invited to choose a book to commemorate their promotion and/or tenure.
Invitation to the reception:
The Provost's office sends invitations to all honorees and their deans or department heads.
At the reception:
Nametags and programs will be available at the check-in table.
Food: punch, coffee, and a variety of substantial finger foods.
Attire: Administrators wear suits and ties. Honorees' attire ranges from more to less formal depending on department, weather, and personal preference.
The Provost and Dean of Libraries offer congratulatory remarks about a half-hour after the reception start-time.
Leaving the reception:
Honorees are welcome to take the bookmarks from their books at the end of the Reception, along with the program.
If you want to check out your book and take it with you, bring your UT ID.
If you were promoted and/or tenured this year but did not get an invitation, consider yourself invited and please attend the reception. UTK has multiple internal information systems. Even though great care is taken by dedicated staff to get things right, this has happened. Your subject librarian or Melanie Finnegan at 974-6152 in the Provost's office will be glad to answer any questions about this event.
About the Bookplate Reception
UT librarians join the Provost each fall in hosting a reception honoring UT Knoxville faculty members who have been promoted and/or awarded tenure.
The Faculty Bookplate Reception is a celebration of faculty success, and honorees choose a book to commemorate their achievement.
Book selection guidelines are in the box below.
The honored faculty members represent the full range of UT's comprehensive educational programs, from arts and sciences to professional schools. The books chosen by UT's scholars are equally diverse, running the gamut from poetry to health science research.
One of the most enjoyable features of the reception is the display of honorees' book choices, which include commemorative bookplates and a bookmark. The 2015 reception will be in the south facing Staff Room, 6th Floor, Hodges Library. It features a view of the Smoky Mountains and an outdoor observation deck.
Attendance at the reception is optional, as is choosing a book. The Provost's Office sends invitations each year to honorees and their Deans or Department Heads. Honorees, please see box to lower right, "What to Expect," for practical information about this event.
The Bookplate reception means different things to different faculty on different years. Honorees who cannot or do not wish to attend the reception are welcome to choose a book either before or after the reception and may do so by forwarding their choice to their subject librarian. UT Libraries' catalog record for each book will be edited to note that the book was selected to honor the faculty member.
Book Selection Guidelines for Honorees
- Ask your subject librarian if you have questions about choosing a book or see the list of books chosen by faculty in previous years.
- Books can be in any discipline, including children's books or illustrated fiction. If faculty choose a book outside their discipline, it will be shelved at any UT Library according to the subject matter of the book: Hodges Library, Agriculture-Veterinary Medicine Library, Music Library, or Social Work Library. For example, if an honoree who uses the AG-VET MED Library chooses a work of historical fiction, the book will be shelved at Hodges Library.
- Can be any book: your book, a relative's book, or a book by a mentor or other person who has inspired you.
- Books can be any length and can include any number of graphic features.
- Electronic books: If an e-book is chosen, a copy of its cover will be displayed at the reception, and an electronic bookplate will be added to the book’s catalog record, noting that the book was selected to honor the faculty member.
- If a book choice is not in the library collection, every effort will be made to purchase and catalog it in time for the reception. Please respond promptly when your subject librarian contacts you about choosing a book.